RedHill Biopharma Extends Talicia® Unrestricted National and Regional Commercial Coverage to Over 40 Million Additional Americans
- Talicia® unrestricted access in the U.S. now extends to over 70% of commercial lives covered
- Approximately 35% of Americans are affected by H. pylori infection, a Group 1 carcinogen and the strongest risk factor for gastric cancer; eradication of H. pylori has been shown to reduce the risk of gastric cancer by up to 75%
- Talicia addresses the high and growing resistance of H. pylori bacteria to commonly used antibiotics
"With this addition of unrestricted coverage for over 40 million more lives, Talicia is now available to over 70% of commercial lives. The unrestricted commercial coverage achieved for Talicia to date far exceeds our expectations at such an early stage following the product's launch. We continue to work diligently to increase unrestricted coverage of Talicia, in an effort to make a significant difference in ending sub-optimal treatment of H. pylori," said
RedHill has previously announced listings of Talicia as a preferred brand on the national formularies of Prime Therapeutics, EnvisionRx, and Express Scripts.
About Talicia (omeprazole magnesium, amoxicillin and rifabutin)
Talicia is the only rifabutin-based therapy approved for the treatment of H. pylori infection and is designed to address the high resistance of H. pylori bacteria to clarithromycin-based standard-of-care therapies. The high rates of H. pylori resistance to clarithromycin have led to significant rates of treatment failure with clarithromycin-based standard-of-care therapy and are a strong public health concern, as highlighted by the FDA and the
Talicia is a novel, fixed-dose, all-in-one oral capsule combination of two antibiotics (amoxicillin and rifabutin) and a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) (omeprazole). In
Talicia is eligible for a total of eight years of post-approval U.S. market exclusivity under both its Qualified Infectious Disease Product (QIDP) designation and New Clinical Investigation exclusivities. In addition, Talicia is protected by a robust
About H. pylori
H. pylori bacterial infection affects approximately 35% of the
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Talicia contains omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), amoxicillin, a penicillin-class antibacterial, and rifabutin, a rifamycin antibacterial. It is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to any of these medications, any other components of the formulation, any other beta-lactams or any other rifamycins.
Talicia is contraindicated in patients receiving delavirdine, voriconazole or rilpivirine-containing products.
Serious and occasionally fatal hypersensitivity reactions have been reported with omeprazole, amoxicillin and rifabutin.
Acute Tubulointerstitial Nephritis has been observed in patients taking PPIs and penicillins.
Clostridioides difficile-associated diarrhea has been reported with use of nearly all antibacterial agents and may range from mild diarrhea to fatal colitis.
Talicia may cause fetal harm and is not recommended for use in pregnancy. It may also reduce the efficacy of hormonal contraceptives. An additional non-hormonal method of contraception is recommended when taking Talicia.
Talicia should not be used in patients with hepatic impairment or severe renal impairment.
Cutaneous lupus erythematosus and systemic lupus erythematosus have been reported in patients taking PPIs. These events have occurred as both new onset and exacerbation of existing autoimmune disease.
The most common adverse reactions (≥1%) were diarrhea, headache, nausea, abdominal pain, chromaturia, rash, dyspepsia, oropharyngeal pain, vomiting, and vulvovaginal candidiasis.
To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact RedHill Biopharma INC. at
1-833-ADRHILL (1-833-237-4455) or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Full prescribing information for Talicia is available at www.Talicia.com.
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements may be preceded by the words "intends," "may," "will," "plans," "expects," "anticipates," "projects," "predicts," "estimates," "aims," "believes," "hopes," "potential" or similar words. Forward-looking statements are based on certain assumptions and are subject to various known and unknown risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the Company's control and cannot be predicted or quantified, and consequently, actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties including, without limitation, the risk that the Company will be unable to secure additional pharmacy benefit management's formulary coverage for Talicia®, as well as other risks and uncertainties associated with (i) the initiation, timing, progress and results of the Company's research, manufacturing, pre-clinical studies, clinical trials, and other therapeutic candidate development efforts, and the timing of the commercial launch of its products and ones it may acquire or develop in the future; (ii) the Company's ability to advance its therapeutic candidates into clinical trials or to successfully complete its pre-clinical studies or clinical trials, including the development of a commercial companion diagnostic for the detection of MAP; (iii) the lack of sufficient financial resources which may result in material adverse impact on the Company's research, manufacturing, preclinical studies, clinical trials, and other therapeutic candidate development activities including delay or termination of preclinical or clinical activities or of any other such activities (iv) the Company's ability to advance its therapeutic candidates into clinical trials or to successfully complete its preclinical studies or clinical trials (v) the extent and number and type of additional studies that the Company may be required to conduct and the Company's receipt of regulatory approvals for its therapeutic candidates, and the timing of other regulatory filings, approvals and feedback; (vi) the manufacturing, clinical development, commercialization, and market acceptance of the Company's therapeutic candidates and commercial products; (vi) the Company's ability to successfully commercialize and promote Talicia®, and Aemcolo® and Movantik®; (vii) the Company's ability to establish and maintain corporate collaborations; (viii) the Company's ability to acquire products approved for marketing in the
1. Talicia® (omeprazole magnesium, amoxicillin and rifabutin) delayed-release capsules 10 mg/250 mg/12.5 mg is indicated for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection in adults. For full prescribing information see: www.Talicia.com.
2. Defined as the PK population which included those subjects in the ITT population
3. The pivotal Phase 3 study with Talicia® demonstrated 84% eradication of H. pylori infection with Talicia® vs. 58% in the active comparator arm (ITT analysis, p<0.0001).
4. Hooi JKY et al. Global Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori Infection: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Gastroenterology 2017; 153:420-429.
5. IQVIA Custom Study for
6. Lamb A et al. Role of the Helicobacter pylori–Induced inflammatory response in the development of gastric cancer. J Cell Biochem 2013;114.3:491-497.
7. NIH – Helicobacter pylori and Cancer,
8. Hu Q et al. Gastric mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma and Helicobacter pylori infection: a review of current diagnosis and management. Biomarker research 2016;4.1:15.
9. National Cancer Institute, Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER).
10. Kumar S et al. Risk Factors and Incidence of Gastric Cancer After Detection of Helicobacter pylori Infection: A Large Cohort Study. Gastroenterology 2020; 158: 527-536.
11. Malfertheiner P. et al. Management of Helicobacter pylori infection - the Maastricht IV/ Florence Consensus Report, Gut 2012;61:646-664; O'Connor A. et al. Treatment of Helicobacter pylori Infection 2015, Helicobacter 20 (S1) 54-61; Venerito M. et al. Meta-analysis of bismuth quadruple therapy versus clarithromycin triple therapy for empiric primary treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection. Digestion 2013;88(1):33-45.
12. Full prescribing information for Movantik® (naloxegol) is available at: www.Movantik.com.
13. Full prescribing information for Talicia® (omeprazole magnesium, amoxicillin and rifabutin) is available at: www.Talicia.com.
14. Full prescribing information for Aemcolo® (rifamycin) is available at: www.Aemcolo.com.
Chief Corporate & Business Development Officer
Media contact (
+1 212 529 2236
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/redhill-biopharma-extends-talicia-unrestricted-national-and-regional-commercial-coverage-to-over-40-million-additional-americans-301187188.html